Kathryn Ivy

May 28, 2007 - Posted by Alice Schnebly

Chevron Finale

Rolled up all neat and tidy. Chevron while it was still in progress. Both the right and wrong sides are beautiful!
I love how the wrong side looks. Close up of the stitch pattern. So glad it’s finally finished!
Chevron Scarf from LMKG. This is a picture from the first day of knitting on the scarf. Done!

Project Specs
Pattern:Chevron Scarf
Pattern Source: Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Yarn: KnitPicks Bare Superwash Fingering Weight Yarn dyed by me! 50g (approximately 215 yds) of two different colorways.
Date Started: 4/16/07
Date Finished: 5/24/07
Modifications: None, other than not using recommended yarn.
Final Measurements: 5 inches by 86 inches (post blocking)

So, what do you think? Overall I’m very pleased with how this scarf turned out, though it was on the needles for way too long! I was surprised that this took me over a month to finish, although there were quite a few projects in between. I think one of the most satisfying parts of knitting this scarf was seeing how the yarn I dyed merged together row by row. I am also totally mesmerized by the “wrong” side of the scarf. I think it is just as beautiful as the front, so that’s just an added bonus!

You can really see how bright it is here!I am still in shock by how bright this scarf really is. The colors are gorgeous, and I love to look at the scarf, but I am not sure if I’ll really be able to get used to it and wear it in public comfortably. So the jury is still out on whether I’ll keep this for myself or it will become a gift for someone I love!

The pattern was enjoyable but got boring about half way through. I set the scarf down and didn’t work on it for over a week. Luckily when I picked it back up things went pretty fast and it was finished up in a few sessions. I stopped knitting when the scarf measured 75 inches, unstretched. I fully wet blocked the scarf and washed it in a bit of Kookaburra, mainly because I wanted to make sure the yarn I dyed was really as colorfast as I thought it was, and sure enough, there was no bleeding at all! The scarf grew about a foot after blocking.

This was a very economical project for me, the yarn cost about $12.00 (and I have exactly enough left over for an identical scarf). The dye was less than fifty cents. Overall, I could have two scarves for 12.50! I don’t think you can get even one skein of Koigu for that, so I am very proud of my thrifty self! Also, stay tuned because I have all the extra yarn (and I can’t see myself knitting this scarf from these exact colors again) I’m going to have a drawing for it on our blog sometime next week, so keep an eye out if you’re interested in getting free yarn for your very own Chevron!