Kathryn Ivy

September 12, 2007 - Posted by Alice Schnebly

Tomten Troubles

Adorable hood.I’ve made significant progress on Camdyn’s Tomten jacket. I haven’t been working at a feverish pace on the jacket, but I’m enjoying savoring every part of this project. Since I updated last, I’ve finished the hood, pockets, and now I’m on to the final part of the sweater—the sleeves.

I had a minor setback when applying the i-cord border. I picked up the stitches in the wrong color yarn, and knit about half of the applied i-cord before realizing that it didn’t look quite as neat as it should have. The next day I ripped it out and started over (and re-picked up the couple hundred stitches). I’m happy I did though because it looks much better. I’ve also realized it’s maybe not such a good idea to try a new technique when it’s late and night and you’re more than a little tired.

I started the sleeves in the Orchid Malabrigo, but then decided I didn’t like how it looked and ripped that out and now I’ve finally decided to do them in the same color as the body, Purple Mystery. I think this will end up looking pretty cute even though it’s not all fun and stripey. I’m already thinking about another Tomten—this time with just a collar and lots of stripes, maybe buttons instead of a zipper, and no pockets.

Zipper and ribbon for Tomten jacket.Speaking of the zipper, I picked one up the other day at JoAnn’s. I decided to choose a fun ribbon to use as the facing for the zipper, and since I decided not to do stripes on the sleeves of the jacket I opted for a fun purpley striped grosgrain ribbon that will be a nice surprise when the jacket is left unzipped. I can’t wait to see this all finished, and I hope the next time I post it will be!